Saturday, July 26, 2003


As I was told, the AdmitOne Anime Rocks! was shown a couple of hours ago with Txtube. And I was insanely mad at myself for missing the event. It took place last July 5 at 9:00, the day before my birthday. I had planned to go there with a couple of friends, but failed because I was flat broke. It would have been a pretty nice prospect, having to celebrate the first hours of being 21 in Freedom Bar watching my favorite bands perform.


Truth is, all the bands that performed that night were my favorites, with the exception of Pan. Their first and only single so far, "Dumpsite," left me choking with sheer confusion. Upbeat and very catchy at first, but thanks to Nu107's abuse of the song -playing it more often than you should hear in an afternoon- the ditty became more and more of an annoyance with every listen.

So Yano is dead. Dong Aban is back with a Yano clone, back to haunt my afternoons with tales of lost slippers, canonized horses and of people bumming around, complaining about it and doing nothing for a change in their disposition. I have looked up to Dong Aban as a writer, having profoundly weaved human life into rhyme and rhythm, which is what I can also say for Ebe Dancel, but unlike grandmaster Ebe, Dong seems to tinker around the same spot where he left off before his hiatus from the world; thus forgeting the wonderful concept of letting go and moving on.

But then again, who am I to judge him; who indeed? For all we know Pan's debut album, Parnaso ng Payaso, could be a collection of different tales and topics. I could only wonder, the pain inflicted by not having gotten a copy for myself. So until I finally decide to but an album, or when they release a new single (whichever comes first), I will have to forcefully keep an open mind to Pan.


Having watched the GMA-edited AdmitOne made me want to tortur myself for not being there. The whole program, which featured the regulars Fatal Posporos, Dicta License, Sugar Free and Twisted Halo, with guests Chico Sci, Pan, Sandwich and Cambio, only showed two songs from each band.
And it ate me that I felt totally nothing as gawked at the performances, and I know why: because I didn't hear the bass attempting to shatter my eardrums, the guitars screeching and wailing like banshees, the drums calling on the frustrated drummer in me and the vocals that make me envious. I didn't feel the music vibrating on the floor, on the table, on the chair...there's nothing like watching them live.

And the fact that I haven't seen Twisted Halo and Dicta License perform since the last AdmitOne I attended, which was SO long ago, that I prefer not telling it for fear of getting depressed. But I did catch Twisted's last two songs last Fete de la Musique, one songs that I am not familiar with, but no doubt would be in the upcoming album, and their grand finale, Cut To Commercial with Mong (Chico Sci) joining them. Again, I would like to stress that IT IS INDIO EYE and the two-stage setup's fault why I missed the first half of the Halo set. But I would also say that Indio wowed me with their music. So there.




By the way, I have set up two sites:

Under construction site 1
Under construction site 2

To those who can read this, can you please visit them and give me your honest opinions (be nice now...) or suggestions.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment