Thursday, December 4, 2003




Last Wednesday, Indio and I went to the World Trade Center in Roxas Blvd to meet up with Carol and Elad to attend the NU 107 Rock Awards. This is my first time to attend the annual event - which happens to be in its 10th year - so I have no idea as to what would be happening.


So there we were, walking around the cluttered hall, surrounded by people garbed in assorted levels of weirdness, as opposed to my plane black Admit One shirt and Indio and his white shirt. Then in my peripheral vision I saw Gabby, of the Cebu-based band Urban Dub. It was going to be my first time to watch Urban Dub live (I have work, you know, and their gigs have never been on during my days off), so I HAD to drag Indio over to their direction. Next thing I knew I was in front of a booth selling copies of their latest album Influence and Gabby and the rest of the band had disappeared.


So I bought a copy of Influence, and up until now I know I didn't make a mistake.


Going back to the Rock Awards.

Best New Artist - SUGARFREE

BUENA MANO! First award off the event and it went ot my favorite signed band! And when the band went onstage to accept the award, one funny and noticeable thing was that Ebe, the vox, and I were wearing the same shirt. HAHAHAHA!


Producer of the Year - BARBIE'S CRADLE/ANGEE ROZUL


Best Album Packaging - PARNASO NG PAYASO - Pan


Best Rock Video - DAISY - 7 foot jr.


Drummer of the Year - ALAN of Kamikazee


Bassist of the Year - ROMMEL DELA CRUZ - Barbie's Cradle


Guitarist of the Year - IRA CRUZ - Kapatid


Vocalist of the Year - KEVIN ROY - Razorback


2003 Raw Award - NARDA


2003 Hall of Fame - ERASERHEADS

It was here when I got all sentimental. The video for "Ang Huling El Bimbo" was playing in the background and a sentimental spiel went on. Now, the Eraserheads REALLY deserved this award. They have always been the sound of my youth; I was in Grade School when "Pare Ko" raided my ears and woke up the alternative music lover in me, "Julie Tearjerky" was the influence behind the cover of one of my Filipino projects during High School (I was the only one who did this) and during College the band sort of disappeared and lead me to think that they were cooking up their next album. And then Ely left. Marcus followed. I couldn't believe what was happening. Next thing I knew, the Eraserheads were no more.

They were the first and only band to be MTV Asia's HotSeat. And now they're gone; echoed perhaps by millions of sentimentals, the bands they have influenced and of course the acts that the ex-members are part of. The Mongols. Sandwich. Twisted Halo. Squid9. And of course, Cambio came out of the surviving members.


Listener's Choice Award - KAMIKAZEE


Album of the Year- SA WAKAS - Sugarfree


Song of the year - SOUL SEARCHING - Urbandub

I LOVE THIS SONG!


Artist/Band of the Year - Parokya ni Edgar




No comments:

Post a Comment