Wednesday, January 31, 2007

COMEDY CENTRAL's STAND-UP SHOWDOWN
originally posted on January 20, 2007
click here


In another window, I am on the Comedy Central website looking at a list for their Stand-up Showdown, where a hundred stand up comedians battle it up to be number one! I'm not sure if I can vote since it seems that wou can only vote via text.

I'm looking at the list of the stand-up comedians. And I am going to have a heart attack. If my life depended on voting for just one comedian, I think I'd die even before I make a choice and actually get my vote in. Provided that I may vote other than via text.

Included in the Top 20 so far:
Dane Cook (1), Jim Gaffigan (2), Frank Caliendo (5), Mike Birbiglia (10) and Carlos Mencia (14). It's a freaking hard choice, and the only reason I've narrowed the top 20 down to these five is that these are the people I know from the list.

Other comedians in the list (the ones I know, at least...)
Jimmy Carr (British humor isn't exactly my thing), Nick DiPaolo, Greg Fitzsimmons, Zach Galiffianakis (a real shocker for me last year, since I first saw him as the geek coroner in Tru Calling), Jeremy Hotz (his style tends to lean towards whiney-ass complains, which gets boring after a few jokes), Patrice O'Neal, Patton Oswalt (effing funny dude), Dat Phan (effing unfunny dude, but he's got the underdog thing down pat, so he's got my pity vote I guess), Brian Posehn
(who once played Just Shoot Me's office oddball), Aries Spears, Wanda Sykes (I just don't understand her accent sometimes), Rich Vos (who told a severely ancient joke during his run with The Last Comic Standing), Dave Attell (whose show The Insomniac I watched religiously), Greg Behrendt (one of my favorite comedians, who was recently in the country and I didn't even know about it), Greg Giraldo, Todd Glass, John Heffron and Harland Williams (who looks like an oddball and tells the jokes in dead tone).

SO with the LOOOONG list of choices of pretty competent comics, who do you side with? Who indeed?

No comments:

Post a Comment