Saturday, August 2, 2003


Yesterday I attended the second leg of Kontrabanda in the Don Bosco - Mandaluyong Gym. It was almost sweltering hot and by my third hour there, I badly wanted another bath. That's the problem when you attend a free gig; everyone has easy access and so the venue becomes terribly crowded.

The first band, the high school, Don Bosco-based band Braincloud, was a fair opening for the show. I understand that they are somewhat new, but having won the recent battle of the bands competition that school sorta assured them the front act slot for the gig. They play decent punk music and then a smattering of other sub-genres.

Moonstar 88 came up next and the whole gym began singing with each song Acel and her cohorts play. From "Sulat" to "Torete" and even others that I'm not really familiar with, everyone sang like anthems, sans the right hand to the chest.

Bamboo, the group, played rocking music with Bamboo, the person, at the helm, doing each song with his voice swinging from the agression of "Sunog" and the emotive melody of "Awit ng Kabataan." I was realy suprised that Bamboo is composed of Kapatid members; there's Bamboo's former Rivermaya bandmate Nathan Azarcon, Mylene Dizon's boytoy Ira, although I'm pretty unsure about the drummer because I couldn't him from behind the drum set.

Then Chico Sci walked up stage with the crowd screaming like hell at the sight of them. And we suddenly found ourselves singing along "Amen," "Takatak" and "Break Glass." And then something absurd happened when the band was playing "Paris" - their most successful song, having won Song of the Year from NU107, and staying in that station's chart for more than a year. The guitarist gave the vocalist his guitar and grabbed the mike. The bassist then went midstage and began dancing a shy version of breakdance with his bass guitar dangling off his shoulder.
With this, folks, I laughed my head off. Weird reaction to a weird scene, fits!


I am SO grateful that there are a lot of die-hard Chico Sci fans from Antipolo, because since the show ended 10:45, I was afraid I'd be waiting inside a half-filled jeepney for hours. By the time I got to JRU and crossed the street to the jeepney terminal, the jeepney was lacking only one passenger. OH JOY!




Chewist...You, biatch! That was the reason why I didn't even tell you in the first place, aside from the fact that you wouldn't have the slightest clue as to who the F they are.

Apol...love ur blog! "Mini Pillow" ahahahaha Sorry, that's not the Jessica Zafra site, it used to be, though. That was her domain, guess she forgot to pay for it and somebody bought it, o well, I'll remove the link.




No comments:

Post a Comment