Saturday, August 20, 2005

It's been months since Cueshe's Stay began blaring from car stereo's in every FX I have had the chance to get into. Even those jeepneys, with their CD-ROMs mounted on the dashboards and their bass levels tastelessly pumped, have the song playing as they soar through Cainta and Marikina.

And a month before that I had the chance to watch them perform for a liquor company's event in Novaliches. I didn't like them that much because they sounded like something you'd hear when you're on your way out the door- you look back and walk away. I've never really mentioned it before, but Stay's chorus' melody is really identical to The Greatest View from Silverchair. Honestly, I don't think I need to tell you that.

And I just don't like it. Aside from that, they played three other songs during that gig. One suspiciously sounded like Sandwich's Butterfly Carnival, which I ignored comletely, and instead focused my undivided attention to gulping down a shot of liquor while unintentionally flirting with one of the the wine girls. And then they did a cover of The Reason by Hoobastank, which was standard showband-fare at the time; and also an Incubus over, which was so lame I don't even remember.

Anyway, I never liked the band, but I have to hand it to them, they've been playing in Cebu for a long time. But two songs that undeniably sounded derivative, makes you doubt the band.

I don't like them, that's all. But then again I don't like a lot of things: rainy Monday mornings, bull fights, running out of cell credits in a middle of an appointment, cold milk and soggy pulborons, among others.

No amount of dislike should be expressed in a nationwide tirade against them. I am however, paying homage to the band they sound like in the first single (although I have to stress that it's just the chorus, not the entire shebang), so I have posted The Greatest View on my Syndrome section.

Sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment