Tuesday, June 20, 2006

May 2006. During my initial application interview, Dodie (my interviewer / accent trainer) asked me if there was an account I’d specifically want to be a part of. I answered promptly: “I’d LOVE to be with XBOX.” And it was to my slight dismay that when I was called back, I was proudly told by an HR person, “Congratulations for passing our evaluations for the Technical Support positions.” I was mildly stunned. Me? Tech support? I don’t even believe in my own technical skills, and now people from the US are gonna call me up for technical help/advice?

But I decided to go along the flow, hoping that there’d be a chance to move to Xbox. Hey, if the opportunity doesn’t show itself, I can always wait until the sixth month (IF I survive the initial months) and resign and go back to writing and research work.

Jump to our last week of Product Specs.
People from up above (aka the Big Bosses) got inside our doorknob-less training room and announced that they were looking for agents to migrate for the new Xbox CS account. And that made the entire class think about their future with this company; and both Jenn and I squirmed with delight! Xbox was, after all, the entire reason why I even decided to march with my resume in tow and sought employment here despite my inner writer’s protests.

And so naturally I signed up and had my interview a week later. The next day was our second day of nesting, some of my batchmates were being pulled out one by one and asked to go a room, with glass windows. I could see them all sitting and looking at each other, wondering what it was all about.

A few minutes later, I could see them staring intently at someone I couldn’t see, and then came their exultant cheers. They turned to me and motioned that they have just been accepted for Xbox.

I didn’t. Blast it!

No comments:

Post a Comment